What is Colic in Babies?
Taking care of a baby’s health is not an easy task because their physical organism is not as strong as that of adult. Therefore, a baby often suffers from threats of many diseases including colic . When a healthy baby cry continuously without reasons, it is likely that he/she is going down with colic. Scientists have proved that this phenomenon often appear by the time a baby is 3-5 months old.
What causes Colic in Babies?
No one can be sure about the exact roots of colic in a baby. However, it is stated that if mothers have habit of smoking during pregnancy, their baby has greater risk to suffer from colic. The symptoms of colic in a baby can be very complicated. Facts have shown that some common signs of colic can be listed as sniveling, crying continuously, sleepless. In addition, in case of severe situation, a baby can also show other symptoms including vomiting, sudden changes in body temperature, undernourishment, which is so dangerous.
Colic can be a trouble for not only the babies but also their parents. Therefore, it is necessary to have some solutions to treat the problems since its appearance. Besides going to doctor for detailed consultation, parents of baby with colic can apply a number of natural home remedies to relief some discomforts resulting from this problem.
Here are the 15 best home remedies for colic in babies that the parents can consider applying in order to help the babies obtain relief from those symptoms as well as prevent this problem from bothering your babies.
1. Warm Bath – Home Remedies for Colic in Babies
During the time your baby suffer from colic, it is recommended that you give him/her a warm bath. It is said that soothing property of warm water will help your baby forget about the pain and sleep easier. Therefore, people have been applying this solution as one of the most recommended home remedies for colic in babies.
- Allow your baby’s bathtub to fill with warm water
- Have some drops of lavender oil in the solution
- Massage for your baby while bathing for him/her with the water in 4-5 minutes
- Warm up your baby after finishing a shower
2. Warm Compress – Home Remedies for Colic in Babies
Within the home remedies for colic in babies, not only warm bath but also warm compress can do well in releasing all colic’s symptoms. Warm compress supports the treatment of colic perfectly because it contains soothing effect and provides natural relief from continuous pains in the baby’s tummy area.
- Prepare warm water
- Soak a clean and soft towel in that water
- Squeeze the towel to remove excess water
- Use the solution to put into baby’s tummy area
- Do like this 2-3 times a day
3. Oil Massage – Home Remedies for Colic in Babies
No one can deny that massaging with oil will bring incredible effects on releasing pain as well as bringing relax feelings. Therefore, once your baby start showing some signs of colic, you should help them relieve using this method from the home remedies for colic in babies. Facts have shown that your baby’s temperature will return to stable state thanks to oil massage. Moreover, this treatment can also drive your baby into sleeping easily.
- Have a handful of olive oil
- Massage your baby’s tummy area gently and slowly with circular movement in 5-10 minutes
- Repeat the process several times until you find your baby feel better
4. Knee Pushing Exercise – Home Remedies for Colic in Babies
One of the easiest as well as most effective home remedies for colic in babies is doing exercise for your baby. This treatment can bring colic pain away and help your baby feel much more comfortable. Of all exercises, knee pushing one is the most popular which is applied for a baby with colic.
- Have your baby lie in straight position
- Hold your baby’s knees slowly and gently
- Get the legs to bend and push to the tummy
- Count from 1 to 5 and finish
- Follow this treatment frequently
5. Burping – Home Remedies for Colic in Babies
To save your baby from colic pain, you should remind yourself of burping him/her after feeding time. It is said that this traditional and simple method but highly regarded within the home remedies for colic in babies will restrain air pockets from developing in stomach to cause hateful colic’s signs.
- After feeding, let your baby sit upright
- Allow him/her to lean against your shoulder
- Make sure that your baby’s neck as well head are propped safely
- Let your fingers rub his/her back
- Have him/her lay down
- Follow this recipe after feeding your child
6. Honey – Home Remedies for Colic in Babies
People can make long list about wonderful effects which honey brings into our daily life. Unexceptionally, honey can work well as one of the best natural home remedies for colic in babies thanks to its abundance source of calming effect. One thing you should notice when applying this treatment for your baby is that you should only use raw honey and mix them with some water before feeding your child.
7. Asafetida – Home Remedies for Colic in Babies
Asafetida is a popular ingredient which can be used to get rid of many problems including colic in a baby. This special kind of herb is abundant source of acid which can check flatulent process effectively. Moreover, asafetida can also help relieve gas – the main cause of disturbing colic.
- Have a mixture of asafetida and water with 1:1 ratio
- Put the solution under average heat
- Wait for it to cool naturally
- Use it to rub around baby’s navel area
- Do like this 3-4 times for better outcome
8. Basil – Home Remedies for Colic in Babies
In the treatment of colic in babies, people can totally rely on incredible effect of basil. It is said that the main cause of this trouble comes from excess gas in stomach and basil can expel this problem promptly thanks to its large amount of eugenol. Furthermore, the antispasmodic as well as sedative effect found in basil can quickly put an end to baby’s difficulty in sleeping.
- Get a cup of boiled water
- Have a spoon of dried basil leaves in the solution
- Steep it in 15 minutes
- Strain the tea and cool it naturally
- Let your baby consume 2-3 spoons of solution whenever he/she shows colic symptoms
9. Fennel Seeds – Home Remedies for Colic in Babies
People can make a long list of great fennel seed’s impacts on our daily life including curing stomach ache, headache or whitening skin. Unexceptionally, fennel seed can act as one of those wonderful home remedies for colic in babies. Once you apply fennel seed properly, your child will no longer experience colic-related troubles anymore.
- Crush fennel seeds
- Place them to a glass of hot water
- Steep the solution for 15-20 minutes
- Strain it
- Give your baby a spoon of this tea 3-4 times a day
- Repeat the process until your baby doesn’t snivel and cry continuously
10. Milk – Home Remedies for Colic in Babies
When your baby cries without reason, feeding him/her with some milk is a wise choice that you should consider from the home remedies for colic in babies. In fact, there is a great love which baby spends on milk, especially mother’s milk. It is highly certain that he/she can forget about pain and sleep tight thanks to wonderful effects coming from milk.
11. Chamomile Tea – Home Remedies for Colic in Babies
Chamomile is a special kind of tea whose taste is so passionate. People usually love drinking chamomile tea without being aware that it can bring perfect effects on eliminating colic. Particularly, chamomile tea can act as an antispasmodic element that is an essential component within the home remedies for colic in babies which can bring relaxation to your baby well.
- Soak a spoon of dry chamomile flowers into a cup of boiled water
- Wait for it to steep in 10-15 minutes
- Strain the solution and let it cool naturally
- Have your baby absorb a spoon of the solution
- Do like this frequently
12. Neem – Home Remedies for Colic in Babies
Neem or scientifically Indian lilac can also work well as an effective treatment for colic in babies.
- Get some neem leaves
- Boil them in 20-30 minutes
- Strain the solution
- Let it cool naturally
- Have your baby sip it little by little
13. Peppermint – Home Remedies for Colic in Babies
Thanks to calming as well as antispasmodic quality, peppermint accelerates the treatment of colic in babies promptly. Therefore, your child will forget about pain and sleep easily.
- Take out a spoon of dry peppermint leaves
- Put them into a glass of boiled water
- Strain the solution after 10-minute steeping
- Let your child consume 1-2 spoons of this tea
14. Yogurt – Home Remedies for Colic in Babies
Yogurt is a popular ingredient in the home remedies for colic in babies besides many purposes such as whitening skin, removing blemishes, treating vaginal odor. Therefore, parents whose babies go down with colic can feel safer because yogurt can help remove annoying symptoms caused by this disease well. In particular, yogurt has calming elements, thus, it can calm your baby and eliminate any causes responsible for his/her unreasonable state of crying.
15. Lavender Oil – Home Remedies for Colic in Babies
The last ingredient which is recommended in the home remedies for colic in babies is lavender. Whenever your baby has some symptoms of colic, you are recommended to give lavender oil a try. It is said that this special kind of oil has great impacts on relaxing your baby and bringing a tight sleep to them easier.
- Have a handful of lavender oil
- Use it to massage your baby slowly and gently
- Do like this in 2-3 minutes
Tags: home remedies for colic in babies, how to get rid of colic in babies, natural treatment for colic in babies.